By Mark G. Sobell
For use with all models of Linux, together with Ubuntu,™ Fedora,™ openSUSE,™ pink Hat,® Debian, Mandriva, Mint, and now OS X, too!
- Get extra performed speedier, and develop into a real Linux guru via studying the command line!
- Learn from enormous quantities of practical, top quality examples
- NEW! insurance of the Mac OS X command line and its distinctive tools
- NEW! specialist primer on automating initiatives with Perl
The most respected Linux educational and Reference, with thousands of top quality Examples for each Distribution–Now Covers OS X and Perl, Too!
To be actually efficient with Linux, you must completely grasp shells and the command line. previously, you needed to purchase books to realize that mastery: an academic on primary Linux techniques and methods, plus a separate reference. Now, there’s a much better answer. popular Linux professional Mark Sobell has introduced jointly finished, insightful assistance at the instruments approach directors, builders, and gear clients want so much, and a great day by day reference, either within the similar book.
This e-book is 100% distribution and free up agnostic: you should use it with any Linux process, now and for years yet to come. Use Macs, too? This new version provides finished insurance of the Mac OS X command line, together with crucial OS X-only instruments and utilities different Linux/UNIX books forget about.
Packed with 1000's of fine quality, practical examples, this publication delivers Linux from the floor up: the clearest reasons and most beneficial wisdom approximately every thing from filesystems to shells, editors to utilities, and programming instruments to standard expressions. Sobell has additionally additional a good new primer on Perl, an important programming instrument for Linux admins looking to automate advanced, time-consuming tasks.
A functional consultant to Linux® instructions, Editors, and Shell Programming, moment Edition, is the single e-book to deliver
- Better, extra practical examples masking initiatives you’ll really want to accomplish
- Deeper perception, in response to Sobell’s huge wisdom of each Linux and OS X corner and cranny
- A start-to-finish primer on Perl for each approach administrator
- In-depth insurance of simple and complicated Linux shell programming with bash and tcsh
- Practical motives of a hundred middle utilities, from aspell to xargs–including Mac OS X particular utilities from ditto to SetFile
- All-new assurance of automating distant backups with rsync
- Dozens of process protection suggestions, together with step by step walkthroughs of imposing safe communications utilizing ssh and scp
- Tips and tips for customizing the shell and utilizing it interactively from the command line
- Complete courses to high-productivity modifying with either vim and emacs
- A complete, 286-page command reference section–now with revised and accelerated indexes for speedier entry to the data you need
- Instructions for updating structures immediately with apt-get and yum
- Dozens of routines that can assist you perform and achieve self assurance
- And even more, together with assurance of BitTorrent, gawk, sed, find, sort, bzip2, and commonplace expressions
Read or Download A Practical Guide to Linux(R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming PDF
Best linux books
Enthusiastic about Linux, the superb replacement working process? uncertain which of the zillion diverse adaptations is true for you, or how to define out? How clever you're to think about Linux All-In-One table Reference For Dummies! simply because Linux deals such a lot of thoughts, this e-book is helping you chop them down via providing you with 5 well known Linux distributions on a DVD—Debian GNU/Linux, Fedora, openSUSE Linux, Ubuntu, and Xandros.
Entire assurance of the latest examination liberate from the Linux expert Institute, and step one towards LPIC-1 and CompTIA Linux+ Linux necessities All-in-One examination advisor covers this «first-of-its-kind» software meant for the educational area, aspiring IT pros, and an individual new to the realm of Linux and open resource expertise.
So that you can excel on your paintings as a Linux administrator, or maybe land a role as one, you would like this publication. the volume of data and services required of Linux directors has grown vastly during the last 10 years. this present day you wish an grand number of abilities, a number of of them very new. This ebook presents builders, firm architects, and placement reliability engineers with a valid advent to bleeding-edge Linux-based instruments and applied sciences for either improvement and construction environments.
- Linux Networking Cookbook
- Linux Programming: Building and Debugging
- Understanding the Linux Kernel, Third Edition
- Beginning Ubuntu for Windows and Mac Users
Extra info for A Practical Guide to Linux(R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming
Linux calls these files shell scripts; DOS and Windows call them batch files. Their flexibility allows users to perform complex operations with relative ease, often by using rather short commands, and to build with surprisingly little effort elaborate programs that perform highly complex operations. Filename Generation When you are typing commands to be processed by the shell, you can construct patterns using characters that have special meanings to the shell. The characters are called wildcard characters.
Besides C and C++, languages available for Linux include Ada, Fortran, Java, Lisp, Pascal, Perl, and Python among many others. The bison utility generates parsing code that makes it easier to write programs to build compilers (tools that parse files containing structured information). The flex utility generates scanners, or code that recognizes lexical patterns in text. The make utility and GNU's automatic configuration utility (configure) make it easy to manage complex development projects. Source code management systems, such as CVS, simplify version control.
That development marked the start of C. Its roots reveal some of the reasons why it is such a powerful tool. C can be used to write machine-independent programs. A programmer who designs a program to be portable can easily move it to any computer that has a C compiler. C is also designed to compile into very efficient code. With the advent of C, a programmer no longer had to resort to assembly language to get code that would run well (that is, quickly, although an assembler will always generate more efficient code than a high-level language).
A Practical Guide to Linux(R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming by Mark G. Sobell